Maastricht : Foundation Maastricht Fortified Town (SMV)



Accueil
Liste complète des sites
Recherche par carte
Recherche par pays, période et/ou type
 


info@lgog.nl
Adresse :  Postbus 230, Maastricht, 6200 AE , Pays-Bas
Téléphone :  +31 43 321 25 86
Télecopie :  +31 43 321 85 72
Site web
Personne(s) de contact


Imprimer cette page
 
 

 


 
Photo non disponible

 

Description

The foundation Maastricht Fortified Town was founded in 1976 and has for its object the preservation and restoration of Maastricht’s fortifications, undertake research and inform the public about the cultural-historical importance of the remainings of the fortifications.

To accomplish these goals the foundation undertakes several activities such as the opening of an information-centre in the "Hellgate" (Netherland’s oldest town-gate); giving guided tours in the "casemates" and firing salute-shots at festivities with an authentic piece field-artillery.

The information-centre "the Hellgate" (1229) offers a small exposition about the development of the fortifications of Maastricht and a audio-visual presentation about the sieges upon Maastricht.

The guided tours give a good impression of the 18th century mine-galleries, unique for the Netherlands. The canon exists of a cast-iron barrel on a wooden carriage and a ammunition limber. The barrel was manufactured in 1789 in Sweden on behalf of the city of Amsterdam. The calibre was in those days expressed in the weight of the balls, in this case it is four pounds. The carriage and limber are made by foundation volunteers according copies of original drawings and documents found in the archives of the Army-musea in Paris and Delft and the Artillery museum in Harskamp. The guns were moved by four or six horses, depending on the weather conditions.

From the same archives came the information about the uniforms. Aquarelles and documents from the period 1788–1806 gave us sufficient information. Especially some letters from a Swiss officer, Bartholomeus Edouard Paravicini di Capelli, descendant from an artillery family and captain of the Maastricht artillery, have revealed many details.

After lengthy discussions we have chosen for the uniform that was worn in 1790. The uniform consists of a coat, a waistcoat, breeches and gaiters.The uniform was made of blue cloth, turnbacks, cuffs and piping were red, gaiters black. The bicorn hat was worn across and had a yellow tag, orange cockade and black plume.

A more detailed description of the uniforms was published in our magazine "Om de Vesting", no. 1, 1998. The gunners were armed with a flintlock musket with bayonet and a short sword, worn on a white leather belt. The black cartridge box was worn on a white leather belt across the left shoulder. The uniforms as described above were, except some small changes, worn until 1807.

December 2005


 

Bibliographie 

Non disponible